Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Major frustration of small device resolved

The little device that caused major frustration has been fixed.
All that needed to happen was that the hearing aid needed to have
its tube replaced. The tube broke in three places in the ear
mold. I don't want to see that trick for a long time, that's for
sure.

While that time of isolation is over for me, it is not over for
many of you in the db community because of lack of services.
This is why we must all fight hard for services and that means
working together, whether we come to the community from the deaf
community or the blind community. Each group must work with the
other if we are to get anything done. It was Abraham Lincoln who
spoke about a house divided will fall. I don't remember the
exact quote right now; but it fits here.

Has this been the first experience with isolation for me? No it
has not. I experienced this last spring when I attended the last
face-to-face board meeting for a national organization of the
deaf-blind. We met at a location which is a heavy signing
environment. As I do not sign, barely knowing the alphabet let
alone many signs, I felt very much isolated and looked forward to
getting home where I was on more familiar ground. I did get
there and was thankful for it. However, the experience showed me
what isolation is and how it is so potentially devastating if
you let it be so. It is understandable that this can happen
because, as I said, I had problems with one day. Just imagine
how someone who goes through this constantly feels. It's not
pretty and this is why we must advocate for services such as SSP
services so that the grip of isolation can be broken. There must
also be opportunities for vocational training and employment.
Only then will we break the rip of isolation. This means that
the entire community must work together as one. Remember that we
must be united, not divided because if we are the latter, we will
surely fall; and I don't want to see that.

Here's to working to end isolation and increase productivity and
participation in communities where we all live and work.

No comments:

Post a Comment