Monday, March 31, 2014

Community Service: A Good Feeling

Last Saturday I had an opportunity through my Lions Club to perform some
community service at our local food pantry. It was a good feeling to be
able to participate in a community service project; thus giving back rather
than taking from the community.

Why is this such a big deal? Well as someone who is blind and also Hard of
Hearing (HOH), I have not had a lot of opportunities to give back in the
mainstream community and this was a chance to do so. What I did was take
some mini butter finger bars and put them into small sandwhich bags. I felt
good after doing this; and this work is just as important as checking for
codes on products; checking for expiration dates, etc. it is something that
needs to be done and needs someone to do it.

My husband and I were able to educate those who staff the pantry as to our
capabilities and willingness to serve and the staff was happy to have our
help. Hopefully it will lead to future opportunities.

If you have a chance to give back, I would strongly urge you to take that
opportunity as you will feel good afterwards. I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment