Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Orlando convention the week and beyond

There were many things that happen this week at convention.
There was the walk which raised money for ACB. That was neat and
I am certainly glad I took part. There were programs on
rehabilitation services, information access, environmental
access, legislation and more. We had some of the cleanest
elections I have ever seen in my years going to ACB conventions.
The SASI committee had a program on communications and assistive
technology assessments, a program which was not well attended but
which had good information. There was a social for this
committee that night. This was better attended than the
program.

The subject of residential schools was a hot one as it should be.
We can't afford to lose these schools as a viable option.

There was a program on the importance of Braille. This
dove--tailed nicely with the one on residential schools as
Braille is an important skill and one which, in my opinion, is
probably better obtained at a residential school.

Each year this convention energizes me to go home and get busy.
I and others must keep it going throughout the year or the value
of the program will be lost and the time spent here will be
wasted. I give up too much for that to be the case. Many are
looking to me for leadership` especially in the Illinois
deaf-blind community. I can't let them down as many of them,
certainly not all, don't have the skills for whatever reason to
assume leadership roles. Is the pressure on in Illinois? You
bet it is but I do want to move ahead as the db community badly
needs services but nothing happens without leadership.

also, where there are opportunities, we must work together. If
we don't we won't achieve what we need in the way of services.
If we don't work together, we could lose much of what we have;
and this is one person who does not want to see that happen.

It's time for all of us who were at convention to come home, roll
up our sleeves and get to work. You'll see a lot more from me in
other places. Ever heard the phrase, "it's now or never"? I
have and it's so true I think. Let's all get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment