Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The importance of access

Once again, the subject says it all; but does the community get it? I'm not
sure about the answer to the second half of that question though. What
might you ask am I referring to? Well, it's that thing called digital TV,
or should I say don't watch TV independently anymore. The latter name
applies if you must use a converter box to convert analog signal into
digital signal. In this case, it is entirely driven by inaccessible menus
so that one MUST have sighted help just to watch a TV show. This has been
illustrated very plainly to me at work the last couple of days when I have
gone on break. Both days, I have had to call someone to help me with the TV
and that's not a good feeling either. I knew the disappearing remote was
going to be a problem; but I did not realize fully the fact that I would
lose independent access. While I'm angry about this one, I'm not in a
position to file a complaint as my employer would have to agree to it and
this is a place that I just won't go. I want to keep my job, especially in
these tough economic times. BTW this is not an issue at home as we have
cable,thank God.

However, those who were in a position to do so should have been filing
complaints long before the conversion happened. How can the government do
anything about a problem if no one files a complaint, especially when there
is assistance available to help with the filing of such complaints. There
is one individual that I know of who has been urged by more than one person
to file a complaint but for some reason, unknown to this author, will not
file a complaint. How are we supposed to get access when people in a
position to do so won't file complaints? Well, don't come crying to me when
you lose access to TV and more because you can't access the menus. Keep in
mind that this is the same issue with the DVDs, not to mention the players
in that case. In case anyone is asking, I do include myself when it comes
to the DVD comments. Also keep in mind that phone service is going digital
through use of Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) and the ability to access
it through your cable company; and some of this isn't accessible either.
Then there is the fact that the relay service is going to video as is phone
service for the deaf itself through the use of the video phone (VP). Once
again, this brings up access issues in the deaf-blind community. When will
this community unite and demand access?

I have a question for everyone who reads this. That question is how long
will it take for us to realize the importance of access? Then how long will
it take for us to demand such access? Or, will we continue to be left
behind in this brave new digital world? I'll let the reader decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment