Monday, June 22, 2009

To show an I.D. or not to show an I.D.

There has been a lot of discussion on an E-mail list I am on,
both public and private, regarding the carrying of I.D.s for
guide dog handlers. While some say this is not required under
the ADA, I'm not so sure. However, one of those who is saying
this is someone I respect for his knowledge on the law and this
person even thinks that maybe a change is needed.

I have also advocated on and off this list for standardization of
training for other service dogs, something which won't happen
overnight but certainly needs to happen. It didn't happen
overnight with guide dogs either and it won't happen overnight
with other service animals, particularly dogs, but I think it
will eventually happen and needs to happen. There needs to also
be standards and licensure for private trainers. While there
are some private trainers who might be good, there are others who
are horrible and who use this to take their precious little pets
with them everywhere they go. That's an abuse that must be
stopped for the sake of those who use service animals
legitimately.

Standards and licensure are used for other professions and no
one screams bloody
murder about that
but when it comes to
showing an I.D. to
prove your dog is a
legitimate guide
dog, then people
scream bloody murder
and use the law to
hide their laziness
about showing an
I.D. I would think
that you would have
a better case if,
after showing the
I.D., there is
discrimination. How
come people don't
scream bloody murder
about having to have
an I.D. for
paratransit, yet
they scream bloody
murder about having
to show a stinking
I.D. related to
having a guide dog.
What's the big
freaking deal? You
pull out the I.D.,
show it and put the
freaking thing away.
Is that too much to
ask? How do these
screamers do
anything in today's
society where you
have to have an I.D.
to fly, ride Amtrak
and cash a check,
just to name a few
things one must have
an I.D. in order to
do.

Standards and an I.D. will hopefully come sooner rather than
later so that people cannot use private training to take their
precious little pets everywhere with them. Anyone who is good at
training should not mind having to submit to standards to prove
the creditability of their training. Anyone who screams about
this must know that they cannot qualify for licensure, pure and
simple.

BTW this is one of many reasons why I won't get a dog in the
first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment