Monday, June 20, 2011

Day three at AADB

Well I can't believe day 3 is in the books already. I came back to the room
early as I was tired after not sleeping well for reasons I won't go into
here.

It was a jam-packed ay as I knew it would be though. Where do I start?

How about from the beginning. I got up and had breakfast , followed by my
first workshop on board roles and responsibilities. Some key points that
were stressed:
1. The importance of getting your paperwork done correctly and timely.
2. The fact that personnel information is confidential.
3. If board member has conflict on an issue, they cannot vote on it and
cannot participate in discussion.
4. Related to that is if session is closed on this issue, conflicted board
member needs to leave as he is considered member of the public in this
instance.
5. Fundraising is one of the functions of a nonprofit board.
6. ED handles day to day operations while board sets mission, budget and
other matters.
7. President is liaison between ED and Board.

Another important point that Howard Rosenblum mentioned was that the board
must follow the law in an ethical way.

After the two session on this subject, it was time for lunch and some work
at the AADB table taking sign-ups or pledges for the walk-a-thon to be held
on Thursday here in Ft. Mitchell. Please pray that the weather cooperates
for this event as it was stormy today and there is concern about the
weather for Thursday.

I managed to end up at the last hour of the business meeting where the board
and the ED were taking questions from the membership. Financial issues
topped the list of questions. S it's getting a little late here and I want
to get to bed, I won't go into great and glorious detail here.

This evening there was a Special Interest group for those who primarily
communicate using speech. It was interesting but turned into a political
discussion. I went upstairs after this to pick up a couple of small silent
auction items I had successfully bid on.

After that, I came to my room and went on-line. Now it will be time to go
to bed shortly. Let's hope we don't get any more rain here as we got some
noisy storms this morning.

Stay tuned for another jam-packed report tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment