Monday, May 25, 2009

memorial Day

What does Memorial Day mean to me? It means plenty more than picnics,
parades and the beginning of summer. It means more than good, bad or so-so
weather and it means more than a baseball game in late may. So you might
ask what this day means to me.

It means remembering those who served our country and gave the ultimate
sacrifice so that we can enjoy the freedoms of this great country. We must
not forget those who gave their lives in order to keep us free. Many have
done this in the name of freedom over the years from the Revolutionary War
to the present wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and every war in-between.

Because these brave men and women have made the ultimate sacrifice, I can
speak out when I disagree with something that the government has done. I
also have the freedom to assemble with like-minded people. I also have the
freedom to write to officials such as Legislators to either disagree with or
advocate for a certain position. I also have the freedom to worship as I
see fit. We also have freedom of the press in this country and don't have
to get our information from just one source. I have the freedom to speak
out about how I feel about issues, such as I am doing on this blog. As a
woman, I have the right to vote, work, play and otherwise participate in my
community, not to mention receive an education. There are women in some
countries who don't have that right; and Afghanistan was once one of those
places.

These freedoms and others I have not mentioned are made possible by the
sacrifices of our service men and women, especially those who gave the
ultimate sacrifice. These are the ones we remember today, Memorial Day.
Let's all take a moment to remember these brave men and women.,

No comments:

Post a Comment