Sunday, February 21, 2010

Live from Washington

Today was the first full day of meetings here in Washington D.C. We had a
full agenda too.

We discussed how to advocate effectively for your school for the blind, how
to use ACB radio to get more content to more people, convention plans for
this summer and legal matters such as confidentiality, conflict of interest
and financial forms.

It was all good information but I do have concerns in one area. That area
is the use of ACB radio. I don't mind using it but we need to remember that
audio content doesn't work for everyone. There are some among us who don't
have enough hearing to make effective use of audio content.

I must say though that I am proud and excited to be here. I thought fondly
of who I think influenced me and thought of a couple of giants in ACB, one
living and one dearly departed. Both of these people have spoken up for the
db community. I would like to think that I have followed in their footsteps
although the shoes to be filled are large indeed.

That's all for today. We had a heavy load, especially at the end with all
of the legal stuff. That can get you down if you let it because it can seem
so big, bad and challenging. We as leaders can't let it get to us though.
If we do, we're done. I'm not ready to give up.

More thoughts from Washington tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment